Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Them vs. You

Oh the joys of dating...

First there was the guy who seemed literally too good to be true. We worked in the same industry and could trade horror stories and complaints for hours. He also went to culinary school and LOVED to cook. He loved reggae music, and not just the popular main-stream stuff, but the more obscure small label stuff too. He was charming, flattering and seemed to genuinely enjoy spending time with me. Oh and the kissing was wonderful. But. Turned out he had a girlfriend. Break, or no break, that's not the kind of girl I am.

Then there was the good friend turned friend with benefits. We had (have?) an amazing time together. Laughing and drinking and talking until the wee hours on multiple occasions. Since we were both single it seemed only natural that we'd test out the chemistry waters so to speak. It was... ok. But ultimately I decided I wasn't really cut out to be someone's late night booty call. I also realized that while it was fun to party with my buddy, that's all we ever did. Party. And that's a lifestyle that I don't necessarily want in the long term, you know?

Next came the out of the comfort zone guy. He really liked me, pursued me for MONTHS and I never really gave him a second thought. Until one night we were out at happy hour(s) after work and it ended up being just me and him basically alone at one end of our table. Turns out he had recently gone through a divorce also and this guy was FUNNY. Like, I haven't laughed that hard with someone in years, funny. At the end of the night when he asked to kiss me I said yes... just to see right? Wow. I was completely unprepared for how much chemistry there would be. But. This guy was obsessed with money. How much money he had. How much money he made. To the point where he would pull up his investment portfolios on his phone to show me the balances. Ugh. Just... no.

Then there was a guy I met over the summer. We hit it off right away.. lots in common, great chemistry, lots of laughs. I felt comfortable with this guy right away. He was perfect for what I thought I needed at the time - funny, friendly, and CLEARLY in to me in a big way. But. (The inevitable "but"...) He was WAY more serious than I was prepared for. He chews with his mouth open and occasionally talks in a baby voice and makes this annoying chewing, teeth chomping sound in his sleep. But really it was the too serious, too soon that got me.

Which leads me to believe that at the end of the day, while there may be bad or annoying things about all of these otherwise perfectly nice guys, that the main problem they all share is that THEY... are not YOU.

1 comment:

mybkexperience said...

I found this on internet and it is really very nice.
An excellent blog.
Great work!