Thursday, January 20, 2011

30 Days of Truth - Day 3

Just for the record, I’m REALLY looking forward to getting through the first 10 days... This is a little more “truth” than I was planning on! Anywho. Onward and upward.

Day 03 → Something you have to forgive yourself for.

I need to forgive myself (or let myself off the hook a little) for all the terrible decisions I’ve made over the last four years that have contributed, directly or indirectly, to the state my life is in at the moment. (read: life sucks and its my own damn fault) Even though I made the decisions I made, and fully believed they were the right choices at the time, I can’t keep kicking myself for how things turned out. I’m starting to feel like I have a little grey thundercloud over my head like Eeyore.

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
"So it is."
"And freezing."
"Is it?"
"Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little,
"we haven't had an earthquake lately."


Bad decision #1 – I’ve known, probably since somewhere around the one year mark, that I wanted to be TheBoy’s wife. I can’t believe that I met someone that I can be 100% honest with, be exactly myself and no more, who is my best friend, whose company I never tire of. And so, in my typical girl way, I figured we should get married and live happily ever after. TheBoy, on the other hand, I’m still not sure he wants to be married to ME even now, two and a half years after our wedding. The terrible secret is that, even after we discussed getting married, after we had bought our house, even after he bought the damn ring that I picked out and added to his shopping cart and proposed (reluctantly?) in the kitchen of said new house, I KNEW he didn’t want to go through with it.

But.

But I kind of ignored what I knew he wanted and went forward with planning our (ultimately disastrous) wedding and (absolutely perfect) honeymoon. Because I was afraid to tell our family and friends… what? That after 6 years TheBoy STILL wasn’t ready to marry me? That he’d changed his mind? I was afraid what it would mean if I called off our engagement. Should I stop wearing my ring? Would I leave him? How could I stay? What would we do with the house we had just bought? Who would move out? If it was me, where would I go? All of those painful questions were running through my head in an incessant loop and all I could think was, but I love him! I suppose I thought I could love him enough to get us through it and once it was over he’d see how wonderful being married to me would be. I promised myself I’d be the perfect wife and that’d I’d work to make him happy every day. I swore he wouldn’t regret making me his wife.

Bad decision #2 – I suppose in terms of the timeline, this was actually bad decision #1 but whatever, this is my blog and I’ll do what I want to. Even with knowing TheBoy didn’t want to marry me, the one thing I knew he DID want was to own a house. I also knew he wasn’t really in a position to buy without me, personally or financially, and I was firm on the fact I would never own a home with someone I wasn’t married to. I also wasn’t prepared to just move in with him in a home he bought with his mother, and he wasn’t prepared to live with me in a home I bought by myself. So for years we rented and waited, occasionally discussing it, sometimes going to open houses “just to see”.

When the talk finally turned to marriage we made a deal. I’d help us buy a house, together, even before we were engaged, on the assumption that we would BE engaged by the end of the year. This conversation happened in June and we closed escrow on our house in August. We got engaged in September. But you guys know what? I think that house was cursed for us. We were never happy there, not really. I think once it was done and we moved in TheBoy thought the house was insufficient trade off for having to get married. And then we started having issues with our neighborhood. First someone hopped the back fence and stole some tools out of the shed on the side of the house. Then someone came back and broke in to the house proper, stealing the entire safe, all of my jewelry (with the exception of my engagement ring which I was wearing and a necklace my mother made for me when I graduated High School which thankfully was over looked on my nightstand), and the last bit of joy we had in that home. It was maybe six weeks before our wedding.

So, pretty much the second we got back from our wedding I started looking in to selling the house. But the market had gone down and our house that we had purchased less than a year before was now worth $100,000 less than we paid for it. So we waited and thought about making the best of a bad situation. Then our house was vandalized AGAIN while we were gone on our honeymoon so we started talking about selling even MORE earnestly. By then the house was worth $150,000 less, then $200,000 less, then it was worth less than half what we paid for it. This isn’t a unique story I know but there is nothing worse than meeting with a real estate financial planner and being told that it would most likely be a decade before the house was even back up to close to what we paid. A decade?!?! The rest is history, tried to short sale the house, bank wouldn’t agree to either of the offers we presented (we had something like 14 offers total), foreclosure auction before Christmas and finally, moving to a new home, a rental.

But in the back of my mind I can’t help but thinking that all of this, the unhappiness, the financial ruin, the stress, the fights, the tears, ALL of it is my fault. Because I just HAD to get married. You know? And the worst part is that even now, knowing how it all ends, I LOVE being married to TheBoy. I’m proud to be his wife, to share his name, to belong to his family. Too bad I mostly feel like I’m married alone. Turns out there isn’t much happiness in that and its all my fault.


*****


Day 01 → Something you hate about yourself. - done
Day 02 → Something you love about yourself. - done
Day 03 → Something you have to forgive yourself for. - done
Day 04 → Something you have to forgive someone for.
Day 05 → Something you hope to do in your life.
Day 06 → Something you hope you never have to do.
Day 07 → Someone who has made your life worth living for.
Day 08 → Someone who made your life hell, or treated you like shit.
Day 09 → Someone you didn’t want to let go, but just drifted.
Day 10 → Someone you need to let go, or wish you didn’t know.
Day 11 → Something people seem to compliment you the most on.
Day 12 → Something you never get compliments on.
Day 13 → A band or artist that has gotten you through some tough ass days. (write a letter.)
Day 14 → A hero that has let you down. (letter)
Day 15 → Something or someone you couldn’t live without, because you’ve tried living without it.
Day 16 → Someone or something you definitely could live without.
Day 17 → A book you’ve read that changed your views on something.
Day 18 → Your views on gay marriage.
Day 19 → What do you think of religion? Or what do you think of politics?
Day 20 → Your views on drugs and alcohol.
Day 21 → (scenario) Your best friend is in a car accident and you two got into a fight an hour before. What do you do?
Day 22 → Something you wish you hadn’t done in your life.
Day 23 → Something you wish you had done in your life.
Day 24 → Make a playlist to someone, and explain why you chose all the songs. (Just post the titles and artists and letter)
Day 25 → The reason you believe you’re still alive today.
Day 26 → Have you ever thought about giving up on life? If so, when and why?
Day 27 → What’s the best thing going for you right now?
Day 28 → What if you were pregnant or got someone pregnant, what would you do?
Day 29 → Something you hope to change about yourself. And why.
Day 30 → A letter to yourself, tell yourself EVERYTHING you love about yourself

2 comments:

Michele said...

For the record *I* don't think it was that he didn't want to be married to you. I think it was the idea of being married, period. Honestly I thought once he was married, he'd realize "hey this isn't so bad!".

kate said...

i heart you. that's all i have to say. and that if i could, i'd give you a great big hug. xoxo.