Thursday, September 01, 2005

Some GOOD News

I finally received word from an old High School friend of mine who now lives in New Orleans, Corine that she and her husband are safe. Her website, which is normally a cute little homage to her wedding and life in NO, is now posting updates for her family and friends that have been displaced by Katrina.

I don't know about y'all, but I am so sad for all the people who have lost their homes and their family members in this horrible storm. And keeping in mind that New Orleans is largely a city of people living below the poverty line, I can't help but feel overwhelmed by amount of work that will be needed to restore this city. I also can't help but be sad for all the history that's been lost. New Orleans has been called the birthplace of Jazz music and it certainly has it's own cuisine, fashion and even dialect. So, So Sad.

I know that my piddly donation won't mean much but at least I feel as if I've done something. If you'd like to do the same, go here for the American Red Cross website.

And for Corine and Beebe, and all the other victims of Katrina, know you are in our thoughts and prayers daily. Be safe.

No comments: