Thursday, September 01, 2005

As requested... Flourless chocoalte cake

For the Cupcake Mafia.

Flourless chocolate cake

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, cut into pieces - unsalted
8 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 cup sifted unsweetened cocoa powder
6 large eggs

How to:
Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 10-inch-diameter springform pan. Line the bottom with waxed paper. DON’T SKIP the waxed paper step. It’s annoying but necessary.

(The first time I made this I didn’t have a springform pan so if you don’t have one know it can be done in a regular pan. Although, the time I made it in a springform pan it was SO much easier to get out and looked much prettier. Of course if you make it in a regular pan and the sides are bit raged I find a dusting of powdered sugar will hide a multitude of sins. I’m just saying is all.)

Stir butter and chocolate in heavy large saucepan over low heat until melted. (I did the make shift double broiler route for this – metal mixing bowl over pot of boiling water – because I tend to get distracted while cooking and chocolate and butter scorches so easily.)

Mix sugar and cocoa in a separate large bowl. Add eggs; whisk until well blended. Whisk in chocolate-butter mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake until tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake completely in pan on rack. Run knife around pan sides to loosen cake. Release pan sides. Flip over and remove waxed paper.*

Best the day you bake it of course but I find that it’s fantastic for breakfast** the next day if you put it in the refrigerator. I’ve seen tons of toppings for these things so be creative. My mom took her freshly prepared and still HOT slice and spread a little butter on top. She’s a purist. My favorite topping involves caramel flavored whipping cream. And raspberries. Mmmmm… Raspberries.


*Feeding your friends waxed paper is never a good idea. Even if it is covered in cream cheese frosting. (I have a carrot cake recipe… It’s a long story.)

**Not that I would EVER eat CAKE for breakfast! Probably why I now have to obsessively count calories and do horrible mean things to my body. Like boot camp at 5:30 am. And marathons.

No comments: