Monday, November 21, 2005

The Crazy.

I realize I am Crazy. I firmly embrace it.

But there are those even crazier than I.

This afternoon I was walking down the street to pick up lunch for the boss and I. Yes, I realize that it's after 3 o'clock and we just finished lunch... Welcome to my life. Anywho.

I was walking down the street, thoroughly enjoying the warm fall weather with just a hint of winter... My mind was on a million other things. Well to be honest, it's on one particular other thing and the millions of parts to that particular situation. But I digress.

I notice that a woman is walking towards me. I hate to generalize or assume because I am often wrong. But I'll go out on a limb and say that this woman was maybe homeless. She just had that look about her that spoke of misfortune and hard times you know?

I noticed her because she stopped to say something to the man in front of me. I couldn't hear what she said but the man shook his head negatively and walked on. I assumed she was asking for money, as is often the case in large downtown areas like the one my office is located in. I braced myself for the silent, regretful shake of the head as she came towards me.

Just as I expected, as she drew within speaking distance of me she stopped walking and moved closer to me. And said very quietly, yet clearly,

"You are going to die alone."



I wish she had asked for money. I wish I had heard what words of wisdom she had for the guy in front of me. I wish this wasn't getting to me like it is.

I wish it didn't have a ring of truth to it.

I really wish I could rewind the last month and start over.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Please don't let her get to you, you know she was at least five short of a bakers dozen.

Unless she was floating or had an ethereal ( word?) glow about her, I am going to go with the BIG FAT CRAZY!!!!

kate said...

OMG. I think I would flip out too if some random stranger said that to me. That is my worst fear- dying alone.

Tiffany said...

Hey, you cant listen to a woman on the street. She may have a problem, or she may honestly believe she is speaking the future, but she can not detirmine your future.

Dont let it get to you!

Michele said...

That is creepy! Maybe she says the same thing to everyone, and I am sure she is more tha a little crazy. Try not to let it bother you.