Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Holy &$@%!*

*Notice how I'm trying to cut back on the cursing? Call it a New Year's resolution a few months early...

*****

Anywho. I normally try to stay away from talk of politics within the spaces of this blog. However, I read something today which absolutely stopped me dead cold in my tracks.

I present to you all Bill O'Reilly of Fox News, in response the the voting that took place in San Francisco earlier this month where the public passed legislation opposing military recruitment in public schools and banning handgun ownership.*

"You know, if I'm the president of the United States, I walk right into Union Square, I set up my little presidential podium and I say, 'Listen, citizens of San Francisco, if you vote against military recruiting, you're not going to get another nickel in federal funds,' "

And oh, it gets better...

"Fine. You want to be your own country? Go right ahead, and if al Qaeda comes in here and blows you up, we're not going to do anything about it. We're going to say, look, every other place in America is off limits to you except San Francisco. You want to blow up the Coit Tower? Go ahead."

*ahem*

Anybody else wondering if O'Reilly missed his 12th grade Government class where they explain the beauty of the democratic system and the whole entire point behind voting and freedom of choice and expression and all that? Anyone?

Also, I'm wondering where the angry backlash is. The mobs with burning clubs? Public outcry? I mean - isn't this just a teensy bit more serious than Natalie Maines going over to London and expressing her embarrassment that she and Bush share the same home state? THAT little tidbit made the radio and news for WEEKS! Where is his public apology?

I hear that there have been some formal complaints lodged with Fox but come on y'all. Isn't this a little akin to shouting "fire" in a movie theater or "bomb" on an airplane? You can get ARRESTED for those things!

Oh. My. Goodness.

I'm just saying, is all.


*Not that I personally agree with either the opposition of military recruitment in public schools or the ban on handgun ownership... But I can at least appreciate the majority opinion of the voting public in San Francisco. It's the beauty of being an American right? Being able to make your voice heard through voting? I would never call down terrorism on someone just because I disagreed with their political view points.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I am telling you "hell in a handbasket, hell in a handbasket".